Camarillo

Camarillo

Camarillo Sign

Camarillo is named for Adolfo and Juan Camarillo, two of the few Californios (pre-1848 California natives of Hispanic ancestry) to preserve the city's heritage after the arrival of Anglo settlers. As with most cities in Ventura County, it is noted for its resistance to new development. Some of the most desirable land in the city limits, located on the north and south sides of the Ventura Freeway, is "permanently" zoned for agricultural use.

The land upon which the historic Camarillo Ranch now sits was once part of the original Rancho Calleguas; one of the last of the Mexican land grants, the Rancho was almost 10,000 acres in size and was given to Jose Pedro Ruiz by Governor Alvarado in 1847.

 

 

 

&nspb; &nspb;