Canyon Country

Canyon Country

Canyon Country - Robinson Ranch

The area was the ancestral homeland of the Tataviam people for over five hundred years, and other tribes before then, such as the Tongva, Kitanemuk, and Serrano people. After the Spanish invasion the valley first became grazing lands of the Mission San Fernando Rey de España around 1790. In 1834, after Mexican Independence, it became part of the Rancho San Francisco land grant centered on the confluence of the Santa Clara River and Castaic Creek.In the 1880s the rancho become the Newhall Ranch empire of Henry Newhall, now the present day Newhall Land and Farming Company. In 1928 the St. Francis Dam collapsed, suddenly flooding and washing away settlements and people along the Santa Clara River section of present day Canyon Country. In the 1960s and 1970s the Newhall Land company's suburban developments transformed Canyon Country and the surrounding towns into a focused residential and cultural city.

Canyon Country is home to the Placerita Canyon Nature Center, which is also the site of California's original gold discovery at the historic "Oak of the Golden Dream" in 1842

Robinson Ranch Golf Club

Also famous for it two 18-hole courses on par with any world-class private club yet they are open to the public.  Over 400 acres of unspoiled, unpretentious beauty, yet to the unsuspecting, these courses can be challenging.  The design scheme is rooted in the heritage of Old California, yet the features will redefine golf for the New Millennium. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

&nspb; &nspb;