Granada Hills

Granada Hills

 

 

Granada Hills City Sign

The area now known as Granada Hills was acquired in about 1881 by George K. Porter, a pioneer of the north San Fernando Valley and one of the founders of the city of San Fernando. The land was used principally for farming, beans and wheat being among the usual crops.

In 1917 the land between Balboa and Zelzah Avenues, north from San Jose Street into the hills was bought by J.H. Moshier, a wealthy oil man from Oklahoma. Mr. Moshier built a large house, dairy barns, silos and other buildings at the foot of the hills and named his property the Sunshine Ranch. Most of the ranch buildings still remain, and several had been converted into residences. Between 1917 and 1924 over 2000 acres of the ranch were planted with citrus of various kinds. In 1925 however, Mr. Moshier tired of his project, and the Sunshine Ranch was offered for sale. It was bought by Suburban Estates, Inc. which was a holding company organized by Edwards and Wildey Company, prominent subdividers of that time, who already subdivided the town of Eagle Rock, part of Glendale, and several large districts in Los Angeles.

 

 

 

&nspb; &nspb;