Palmdale

Palmdale

Palmdale

Palmenthal, the first European settlement within the limits of Palmdale, was established as a village on April 20, 1886 by westward Lutheran  travelers from the American Midwest, mostly of German and Swiss descent. According to area folklore, the travelers had been told they would know they were close to the ocean when they saw palm trees. Never actually having seen palm trees before, they mistook the local Joshua trees for palms and so named their settlement after them. (Palmenthal is German for Palms Valley.) According to David L. Durham Joshua trees were sometimes called yucca palms at the time, which was the reason for the name. The village was officially established upon the arrival of a post office on June 17, 1888.

 

 

 

&nspb; &nspb;