Ventura

Ventura

Valencia

Ventura In 1841 the Rancho San Miguel was deeded to Raimundo Olivas, who built the most magnificent hacienda south of Monterey on the banks of the Santa Clara River. Along with the Old Mission, this building, the Olivas Adobe, is part of Ventura's historical past. And has been restored and refurbished as a splendid example of early California life.

Settlers came in after the Civil War, buying land from the Mexicans or simply squatting on the property. Vast holdings were later acquired by Easterners, including the railroad magnate, Thomas Scott. He was impressed by one of the young employees, Thomas R. Bard, who had been in charge of train supplies to Union Troops, and Bard was sent west to handle Scott's property.

 

 

 

 

&nspb; &nspb;